Sunday, January 8, 2012

Mystery and Wimsey

“To the young people of my generation, G.K. Chesterton was a kind of Christian liberator. Like a beneficent bomb, he blew out of the Church a quantity of stained glass of a very poor period, and let in gusts of fresh air . . .” Dorothy Sayers, Introduction to The Surprise by G. K. Chesterton.

Dorothy Sayers’ was the classically educated daughter of a clergyman, a renowned Latin scholar and Christian apologist. Her prolific writing includes a number of mysteries some of which feature the sleuthing couple, Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dorothy-Sayers/111945848823652?sk=info

I claim a slight kinship. I too am the descendant of numerous Christian ministers and am the author of a murder mystery that introduces a sleuthing couple, Grit Griffin and Grace Willis. I include Christian apologetics in most of what I write.

Ephesians 3:2-6
Surely you have heard about the administration of God’s grace that was given to me for you, that is, the mystery made known to me by revelation, as I have already written briefly. In reading this, then, you will be able to understand my insight into the mystery of Christ, which was not made known to people in other generations as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God’s holy apostles and prophets. This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment