Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Tintern Abbey

Monday, January 2, 2012

Warren and C.S. Lewis saw Tintern Abbey on their first annual walking tour on this day in 1931.

“While here I stand, not only with the sense
Of present pleasure, but with pleasing thoughts
That in this moment there is life and food
For future years . . .”
William Wordsworth, “Lines Composed a Few Miles Above Tintern Abbey,” 1798

 
A friend and I walked across the Highway 41 Bridge over Nickajack Lake, Saturday, to mark its passing. The old metal bridge is an especially pleasing work of engineering and art that rests at the base of a spectacular portion of the Tennessee River. It is scheduled to close Jan. 9th and will be demolished within a month or so. Its beauty and setting struck me as unique the first time I saw it and I enjoy its simple existence every time I drive past or over it. The new span, if the other bridges around Chattanooga are indicators, will be a nondescript flaw on a beautiful landscape and will prevent enjoyment of the view either at or from it.

I am getting old, but I will enjoy the present and look forward to the future in spite of the decay and destruction around me.
Proverbs 31:25 – She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment